So, Spring has officially sprung, the daffodils, crocus and other flowers now in full bloom, but the winter we really never had this year is not quite finished with us as the weather forecast is calling for snow overnight and into Monday. Not a lot of snow, just enough to make driving difficult for those who still have a job and who are allowed to work outside of the home...which is not most of us as Governor Cuomo has effectively shut down all business and industry in the state other than those who have a job in essential services...such as our nurses and medical staff, all of whom are the true heroes in trying to halt the spread of this killer virus.
Took stock this morning, and this being cooped up in my basement studio apartment has me smoking way to much...I know, I should not be smoking at all, but right now in the middle of this international crisis is probably not the best time for me to give any serious thought to stopping this very bad habit that is not good for my health. That said, I need to at least attempt cutting back to at least under one pack a day....yesterday was an extremely bad day as I could not find sleep until almost five this morning, and I smoked just shy of two packs in one day. First, I cannot afford that kind of expense on a daily basis, and more importantly that pace of smoking would/will/could end up contributing to my early demise which I don't want. Enough on that.
More and more of our town is shutting down...we have several Yoga spaces in town, and I saw signs on three of the shop windows thanking their customers, and telling everyone they hope to see them again when the Corona Virus Pandemic is over, but all classes cancelled and their business moth balled until further notice. I know we are suffering no more than other communities, and far less than others, but the cost to Nyack when the dust settles I fear will be immense, our town forever changed, perhaps for the better, or maybe not.
Took my short walk yesterday late afternoon, and a few out of work musicians were on the front porch of Olives (our local dive bar) trying to keep the music scene here on life support, and put a couple dollars in tips in their pockets to perhaps buy them their next meal. Took a few pictures that I hope to post up later after I have downloaded them from my camera. Sure what they were doing was not exactly sheltering in place, but overall think almost all of us are doing are best to keep our contact with other humans at a minimum, but that said, I applaud their efforts, and hearing music in the street gave some of us hope of better days to come...so thank you to those musicians who entertained a small crowd, all of us carefully making sure we were six feet or more away from everyone else who stopped for a few minutes of song.
No comments:
Post a Comment