Saturday, March 21, 2020

Feeling Under The Weather Saturday

Last night saw me sinking into sickville...scratchy throat, sneezing, a sinus headache...don't ask me what my temperature was as I realized when I wanted to find out that I don't actually own a thermometer.  Does that make me a typical male unable to take care of myself when I need to?  Dump a concoction of over the counter medicines into my system, curled up in bed under a whole lot of blankets and slept till almost eleven this morning.  Not sure yet if I am feeling better, holding my own or getting worse.   Will ascertain that after I have my morning quota of coffee.  At some point going to shower and go see if the local drug store has a thermometer in stock so I can see if I am running a temperature, but do know more Tylenol is in order as the headache from last night is still lingering in the recesses of my mind.

Cherished Memory-LBJ
CNN runs constantly in the background in my small apartment, updates on the Corona Virus coming in faster than my ears can take them in...OMG, OMG, one piece of news more devastating than the one before it.  Perhaps it is time I limit just how much news I am taking in as it is all both depressing and overwhelming.

Going to have to make a trip out for a few supplies today...I tried eating Tuna out of the can...that was not a pleasant experiences.  Need my pickles, some chunks of tomato and a generous dollop of Mayo or I can't eat it...served over a bed of spinach, and I am a happy camper.   Going to go down to our small oriental grocery on Broadway as they so far seem to be keeping their store shelves well stocked, and their veggies are always fresh and mostly organic.   Will cost me a bit more, but not having to get in my car, not having to walk through a large box grocery store with lots of people also shopping seems like a good idea.

The lack of human interaction is taking its toll on me.   I have pretty much stayed inside now for six days, other than a walk down to the park, or up to Main Street.  Those walks are down lonely streets, the outdoor tables for dining or sharing a drink gone, many of the shops closed, or only open for take out meals, and suspect many of those places will soon close as they realize there's just not enough people ordering take out to keep their doors open in this crisis.  The restaurants close and our small town of Nyack might as well roll up the sidewalks and call it a day.  Have a feeling the fall out in lost small businesses when this is over will change our town for a very long time to come.  There is a good chance we could lose our designation as "a place to go, a destination town".

The White House is about to do their daily Corona Virus briefing, and I am dreading having to watch Donald Trump again make a fool of himself as he lies to every American.  Never in the history of America have we had a President less qualified and less suited for the job.  Cannot wait for November elections, though not sure what I will do if by some tragic set of circumstances he were to be re-elected.   Enough of politics for now.

Being locked away alone, do find myself wondering if those going through this alone can pair up with safe individuals to create a network of souls with which to share some human interaction. Sure that is wishful thinking...saying hello to people walking down Depew Avenue to Memorial Park, or having someone ask me what I am taking pictures of made me feel in some way connected to the world and life around me, and that has all but disappeared, our streets and park for the most part devoid of people, and those who are out doing their best to avoid contact with someone who just might, though probably not, be a carrier.   I do the same, crossing over to the other side of the street to avoid walking to closely to someone who might suddenly start coughing into my safe space.

It's past noon, the day slipping away and me still in pajamas.  Time to motivate, have my hot steamy shower and then head out to take care of a few chores.  Let me find a picture to share and call this entry done.

No comments:

Post a Comment