Tuesday, March 24, 2020

New York is in Trouble...and Other Thoughts

First folks,dd want to apologize...a few spell checkers and grammar/tense police have brought it to my attention that in the haste to capture my thoughts my various posts have some glaring issues.  My eyes, and perhaps my mind are not as sharp as they were when I wore a younger man's clothes but rest assured that over that day or two I will be going over each post, editing them more closely, and correcting tense issues.  I thank you for pointing out the flaws in my writing.   I know return you to my regularly scheduled programming.

Yesterday I baked a coffee cake from our old family recipe...just the smell in the apartment for a few hours made this a very worthwhile project, and was a definite pick me up for my spirits.  On the flip side, got on the scale to find out that this Social Distancing and Sheltering in Place have seen me gain 4 pounds...so, the rest of the coffee cake went into the freezer this morning.  I've also cancelled my plans to bake banana nut bread today.

Just got back from a nice solitary walk around Nyack...Memorial Park is now on lock down, the road down to the park closed off, and the gate to parking locked until further notice.  In a bustling downtown area I walked by a total of FIVE PEOPLE, three of them taking their dogs out for their morning sabbatical.   Strawberry Place, a local breakfast/lunch stable for I think almost fifty years was empty...normally this time of the day there are several tables (full) outside, and not a seat to be found inside.   Every other eatery in town was much the same, and according to a report I watched on CNN early in the morning, if they do not get financial aid America could lose as much as 75 percent of our fine dining establishments before this is over.  That reality if reaching fruition would devastate our community.

Many folks don't really know me here in Nyack as (unlike most) I am not native to the area.  I was a potter and sculptor for 20 years living on a 40 acre farm in Southeastern Ohio.   I earned my living doing 30-40 Festivals, Craft Shows, and Street Fairs a year, traveling all over the East Coast every weekend so that I could make ends meet and pay the bills.  I share this as an example...America's Artists, Craftsmen, Photographers, Musicians and the like have lost every venue they have relied on to earn a living.  Festivals, Fairs and Music Venues are all closed down.  Many of us have relied on a first or second job working in restaurants as a secondary source of income, and that as well is gone.  So, if you have a favorite artist whose work you have collected, now would be a great time to send them an order, or even a small donation as we are all hurting.

MORE SERIOUS NEWS...

We here in New York (not by choice) have fast become the tip of the Coronavirus Pandemic, our number of infected rising at very alarming rates, and I am sure all to soon the number dying from this horrible virus will rise in numbers we never imagined.  Governor Cuomo is being a stand up leader, doing everything he possibly can to keep us all safe, but there is only so much he can do...especially when we have a racist, lunatic buffoon in the White House.  Yes, I am saying it...Donald J Trump is unfit to hold the office, and his approach to this World Wide Pandemic is going to end up killing a lot of innocent people.

Saw to very elderly people (don't see myself as elderly, but sadly I am) who are all but shut in during normal times, their outings sometimes no more than sitting on the bench outside the apartment building.   Gave each of them my number and told them to call if they need groceries or other supplies.   If you know shut-ins, even if you have never officially met or spoken to them, please check in on them, become their life line to the outside world.

Mnuchin and Donald Trump as a part of the CoronaVirus Bailout want half a trillion dollars (no strings attached) slush fund with zero accountability...THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.  I would not trust either of these two with a roll of pennies, let alone half of a trillion dollars of the "People's Money".

Please people...stay isolated, wash your hands, and STAY SAFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment